Tuesday, 18 August 2015

1 YEAR

This weekend was a year since the happiest day of my life... so far. I'm sure everyone says that about their wedding day and I'm pretty sure I went through almost every emotion I have in me but looking back now I just remember a day full of absolute happiness.


photo by everthine
I can't believe that it's been a whole year since we got married and how much has happened since then; from moving cities to changing jobs, to making our little family a little bigger with our new puppy. And although not much has really changed in our relationship as we've been together 7 and a half years now and were engaged a year and a half before getting married, it does feel different now that we're Mr and Mrs. More than I expected it to.

There are always ups and downs in relationships as there are in life so for this anniversary blogpost I thought I would give a little relationship advice. Now I am definitely no expert but I wanted to share what little wisdom I have from my own experience as a married lady. (that still sounds strange to say!)

1. WHEN YOU'RE RIGHT SHUT UP, WHEN YOU'RE WRONG APOLOGISE. I think I can say that 80% of our arguments are over things that don't really matter and aren't sorted out straight away because of stubbornness. Stubbornness is not such a good quality that we both seem to possess and following this bit of advice would end a lot of arguments before they began.

2. DO GO TO BED IN A FIGHT. I've heard and been given the advice before that you should never go to bed in the middle of a fight and should sort things out before the day ends. Now I hate fighting and not sorting things out straight away but when you are both angry and upset with each other or about something, sometimes the best things to do is give it a little space. Sleep on it. Chances are by the time you wake up you'll realise it was a silly argument that doesn't matter or if not you are at least less angry/upset and ready to talk about it more calmly to sort things out together. When you're very worked up you will probably say things that you don't mean and will regret later. Leave it. Sleep. And sort it out when you're not tired and ready to hit boiling point.

3. WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE ABOUT THINGS, AS LONG AS YOU DECIDE TOGETHER AND ARE HAPPY THEN THAT IS THE RIGHT DECISION. My Mum quite recently gave me this bit of advice. I think as long as your are honest with each other about your views and what you want, even if they are different to the other persons then it'll work out. It may take a good few arguments and long conversations but as long as you keep talking and being honest you will figure it out together.

4. SACRAFICE. Relationships are all about sacrifice. This doesn't mean giving up who you are or what you want in life but it does mean thinking about the other persons needs/wants as much as your own. 

5. FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. Every single person in this world is different so every single relationship is too. Don't compare yourself to other couples, just do what works for you both.

6. MAKE TIME FOR EACH OTHER. Life can get very busy and there are so many things that fill up just one single day. So make time for each other. That can mean having a weekly date night or going away for a weekend together. It can also mean watching tv, cooking your dinner or just giving them a text/phone call to see how their day's going.

7. CONSIDER THEM FIRST. Don't be selfish. If you are both putting the other person's happiness first then you both have someone trying to make you happy in return.



I feel so truly grateful to have met someone who I love so much. Who I want to spend all my time with, makes me so happy and cares about me. Really deeply cares about me and puts me first and that I think, is at the core of any good relationship. Love yes but really really caring about someone and just wanting them to be happy and you both to be happy together. 

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this! Beautiful words ♥ thanks for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete